Diabetes is a modern epidemic, which affects millions and millions of people across the world! It can slowly take away the quality of your life and decrease a person’s life expectancy. Before it gets serious, we recommend you to do Yoga for Diabetes management. With a combination of asanas, breathing exercises, and Mudras, this practice can do wonders for your body.
As per a study, a daily practice of Yoga can regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the health risks associated with Diabetes Mellitus. It is also proven that Yoga can stimulate better insulin production in the body and decrease the need for injections and pills. So, instead of worrying about this problem(Diabetes), master the art of Yoga therapy for diabetes to regain control of your life.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes may be a disorder of the body, where the body fails to supply the specified amount of insulin. Insulin is vital to convert the sugars in food to glucose, which successively is employed to provide energy to the body. By not producing sufficient insulin or making the body unresponsive to insulin can cause elevated blood glucose levels. This condition is named Diabetes.
Causes and Symptoms of Diabetes:
Before we understand the causes of Diabetes, we’d like to understand about the 2 main sorts of Diabetes – Type 1 and Type 2.
Type 1 is an immune disorder during which the insulin-producing cells are destroyed by the body itself. It is usually a genetic issue, and certain viruses also cause this issue.
Type 2 Diabetes is said to lifestyle disorders which may cause insulin resistance within the body and Following are the are the main risk factors that contribute to the present problem:
Irregular Fat Distribution within the Body
If you’ve got Type-2 Diabetes, you’ll experience one or more of the subsequent symptoms:
Fatigue and Lethargy
A sudden increase in Appetite
Slow healing of wounds or cuts
Frequent attack of infections
Pigmentation on the neck and underarms
How Does Yoga Treat Diabetes?
Yoga Asanas help in stretching particular areas of the body and stimulate them and Following are a number of the main benefits of Yoga For Diabetes cure.
Certain Yoga asanas make the organs in lumbar and thoracic parts to urge stretched so as to activate them. This leads to better production of Insulin and also lowered blood glucose levels within the body.
Another major benefit of doing Yoga is that it helps in reducing stress levels of the body, as we all know Stress is the major reason for diabetes, and by controlling stress, diabetes can be brought well under control.
Yoga also helps in better blood supply to the body that is required for the proper functioning of body organs.
Asanas like the Surya Namaskara, Forward Bend, Backward Bend, Twisted Poses, and Inversions can massage the pancreas and endocrine system to stimulate insulin secretion also, reduce the overall waist circumference that can have a positive effect in controlling high blood sugars
10 Best Yoga Asanas and Prayanama to Control Diabetes:
Now that you simply have understood the advantages of Yoga for diabetes, it’s time to find out 15 Yoga poses that are designed to bring down high blood glucose levels and reverse the condition:
1. Kapalabhati Yoga Pranayama
Kapalabhati may be a sort of breathing technique that will activate the pancreas to extend insulin production. The technique also can flush out the toxins within the body through air, alongside increasing body metabolism. Also, studies have shown that Kapalbhati Pranayama can decrease blood glucose levels in borderline diabetic patients. it’s also a crucial part of the Baba Ramdev yoga for diabetes and is additionally called the “Skull Shining Breathing”.
Steps To Perform:
- Sit on the ground and confirm that you’re sitting during a cross-legged position.
- Take a deep breath.
- Exhale the air forcibly as short breaths, by contracting the stomach muscles
- Inhale passively
- Repeat it for about 10 times.
- Improves the function of the pancreas
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Regenerates Pancreatic cells for better insulin secretion.
Avoid this pranayama if you have stomach ulcers, pregnancy, or during menstruation. People with respiratory disorders like Asthma should not use a lot of force on the lungs
2. Anulom-Vilom Pranayama
Anulom-Vilom is another great breathing exercise to cure diabetes also known as alternate nasal breathing. It also works by calming your systema nervosum and releasing stress. It can also maintain the equilibrium of the body. A state called the Homeostasis. Because of its internal purification benefits, the asana is usually called the “Energy Channel Cleansing and Purification Pranayam”.
Steps To Perform:
- All you’ve got to try to sit straight and breathe through your left nostril as you shut your right nostril using your fingertips.
- In this way, you’ll need to alternate the edges and continue for the subsequent five minutes.
- Calms your whole inner system
- Reduces mental stress
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Improves oxygen circulation in the body.
- Increases your lung capacity.
3. Mandukasana :
It improves blood circulation, insulin production, and also helps control diabetes in those that are already affected by it.
- Keep your thumbs inside, make a fist, and while exhaling, place the fist on your naval and gently press while bending forward.
- Inhale and hold the pose while looking forward, and make sure that your chest touches your thighs.
- Stay in this pose 30-60 seconds while breathing slowly.
- Release and repeat the same for 3-5 times.
- Stimulates the pancreatic region
- Improves the function of the glands
- Aids in better production of insulin
- also Promotes better digestion.
Avoid this asana if you have ulcers, backache, joint pains, ankle injuries, hypertension, insomnia, and migraine OR if you have any stomach related surgery.
4. Vakrasana (Twisted Pose):
The Vakrasana involves twisting of the medulla spinalis bone. It is also called the straightforward Spinal Twist, which helps in stimulating the interior organs liable for producing insulin. With regular practice of this Asana can strengthen the abdomen muscles and help in losing the bulky waiBenifitsst.
Steps To Perform:
- For this pose, you must be seated in a very comfortable posture.
- Keep your right hand on your left knee.
- Twist your body towards the left direction.
- You should keep your body straight.
- Now try doing the same thing in the other direction (side).
- Involves compression and release of the pancreas.
- Stimulates the assembly of bile juice to improves better digestion.
- Aids in removing toxins from the body.
- It can relieve stiffness in joints and activate the Navel Chakra(Madipur Chakra).
Stay away from this asana if you’re pregnant, or have a herniated disc, ulcers, or hip injury.
5. Ardha Matsyendrasana:
The Ardha Matsyendrasana is one of the foremost effective yoga asanas for diabetes cure. This asana can massage the organs and helps in better functioning of the liver, spleen, and pancreas. This can help in better production of insulin to regulate the elevated blood glucose levels. The Asana energizes your body and helps it function well.
Steps to Perform:
- Sit on the ground and keep your legs straight out in front of you.
- Bend your knees now and keep your feet on the floor and then slide the left leg under the right leg.
- Step the right foot over the left leg now and make it stand on the floor now.
- Press your right hand against the floor and place it right behind your buttock.
- Set your arm on the left side of your right knee.
- The right knee should be pointing towards the ceiling.
- Remain during this position for 30-50 seconds and let it relax.
- Repeat this for five minutes.
- Massages the pancreas region
- Improves the secretion of insulin.
6. Paschimottanasana Yoga:
Steps to perform:
- Stretch your legs to the front and exhale then attempt to touch your forehead to your knees.
- The one vital thing is that your elbows should touch the ground.
- Make sure you’re not stretching an excessive amount of beyond your normal flexibility.
- Improves blood circulation in the body
- Activates your digestive system
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- This asana must not be performed by people who have lower back injuries or chronic problems.
7. Chakrasana For Diabetes:
Steps To Perform:
First, you will need to lie on your back alongside your hands stretched on all sides, which should be horizontally done.
Now you will need to require your left leg closer to the thigh then twist it over the right leg, and thus the top should be turned towards the left side.
Now do an equivalent on both the edges and stay till you count five times.
- Decreases blood sugar levels
- Stretches your spine
- Restores inner peace
- Cures depression and stress-related anxiety.
This asana must not be performed if you are suffering from chronic illness, have back pain or neck problems and during pregnancy.
8. Dhanurasana Yoga:
- It is very useful for menstrual pains.
- Improves the health of your pancreas
- Treats Stomach disorders
- Keeps Thyroid under control
- Avoid this pose if you have Disc problems, pregnancy, Hypertension, Migraine, IBS, heart diseases, ulcers and hernia.
9. Halasana Yoga For Diabetes:
- Stimulates glands for better insulin production
- Massages internal organs
- also Treats Hormonal disorders
- Avoid this pose during under medication for hypertension and cardiovascular diseases OR pregnancy and menstruation1010.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Activates the glands for better insulin secretion
- This asana must not be performed during chronic neck or back problems, menstruation, pregnancy, eye problems, and hypertension.